HELP US RESTORE THE ORWIGSBURG FIRE BELL!
HISTORY OF THE BELL
In 1891 the Orwigsburg firehouse was built on East Mifflin Street. Eight years later, a bell tower was erected on the firehouse where a 33 inch cast iron bell was placed. When a fire occurred, the bell was rung three times. The Orwigsburg fire bell was the first which set off a series of ringing bells in the surrounding area.
In the 1990's (date unknown), the bell was removed and placed outside of the Friendship Hose Co. #1 on Liberty Street. The Orwigsburg fire bell of 1899 is the historical version of our modern-day first alert system.
SUPPORT THE RESTORATION PROJECT
Make a direct donation to the bell restoration project. The Captain Jason Jones Memorial Foundation will match 100% of all donations!